Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Springerles

When I make these cookies it's more than just making cookies. It always brings to mind the stories my mom has told about having them when she was growing up. When my mom was young my grandma made them a lot around Christmas time. Then as my grandma got older my mom sorta took over the tradition of making them and every year, all 6 of her brothers and her sister got some for Christmas. My mom did this for a lot of years. Then as time went and my mom had more kids my she sorta stopped making them.

We all love the cookies so this year
I decided we had to make them. They take a while to make, but they are a lot of fun.! Hope you enjoy.

First, beat 4 eggs well, add sugar gradually, beating until very thick.













Pour 2 tsp boiling water over 2 Tbsp anise seed. Let sit. Sift together 4 cups of flour and 2 tsp baking pd in a separate bowl. Add anise seed to egg mixture. Then add 1 Tbsp lemon rind. (It should look something like this)












Add flour and baking pd to egg mixture gradually. Form into flat round (hehe, at least somewhat round) pieces. Wrap in wax paper and chill for about an hour. Roll on lightly floured waxed paper. (Sandwiched between 2 sheets) to 1/4 inch thickness.











Use springerle roller like the one above. Cut, let dry 6 to 12 hours.
Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown.











They are rather hard to see, but all the cookies have the cool designs that the roller makes on them.


Random Cooking Tip: When cooking anything, remember the object is to have fun (and tasty food), if you make a mistake laugh, try to fix it,then move on.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe. =D Those look good and (considering my skill, or lack thereof) highly complicated. Heck, I mess up baking frozen cookie blogs where I don't even have to do any of my own measuring. =P PS. Fabulous, cooking tip, Esther. =D That is something that I've gotten very good at. Well the laughing at your own silly mistakes at least. =P

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

Hi-

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.
I enjoyed looking at your blog and plan to try some of your recipes!

McKenzie

Sarah said...

that looks SO good!


Sarah

Davis Family said...

Hey girls! I just found your cooking blog! What fun! Mine is kind of turning into half cooking, half Benjamin. Cooking is just way too fun! Look forward to some more yummy recipes!